Boasting highly-rated schools, a diverse population, acres of wide open spaces, and a great location along Lake Michigan, the affluent village of Wilmette is widely known as one of the most family-friendly neighborhoods in the North Shore.
The village was named after French-Canadian fur trader Antoine Ouilmette, who was instrumental in convincing Northern Illinois’s Native Americans to sign the Treaty of Prairie du Chien in 1829. The treaty gave the federal government ownership of most of the land in the region, and in appreciation for his contributions, Ouilmette and his children were deeded 1,280 acres. Ouilmette eventually sold the property to farmers and developers, who grew the area into the village of Wilmette.
- In 2020, Wilmette was named the best place to raise a family in Cook County by Niche.com, and one of the best places to live in Illinois by Homesnacks.net
- According to 2019 Census estimates, Wilmette has a population of 27,089, making it one of the most populous communities in the North Shore
- The village has a total area of 5.41 square miles, and includes two swimming beaches and a sailing beach
- There are numerous community parks in Wilmette, but the Centennial Recreation Complex & Gardens in Wilmette Park is the most popular community hub
- Wilmette is home to two golf clubs, the municipal Wilmette Golf Club and the private Westmoreland Country Club.
Schools in Wilmette
Wilmette belongs to the highly-rated Public School District 39, but some areas on the west side are zoned to the equally top-rated Avoca District 37. Public School District 39 includes four elementary schools and two middle schools, all with an “A” rating from Niche.com. High school students in Wilmette can go to nearby New Trier High School, Glenbrook South High School, and Niles North High School. A number of private schools also serve the village.
Dining and Shopping in Wilmette
Dining and shopping in Wilmette are highly diverse. You’ll find a wide array of cuisines, as well as boutiques and shopping centers selling everything from flowers and gifts to antiques and fashion.
Wilmette Real Estate and Homes for Sale
Real estate in Wilmette is made up mostly of single-family homes coming in a wide range of sizes and prices. If you’re in the market for luxury homes, you will love the collection of gated and non-gated estates in the city, as well as expansive homes of over 5,000 square feet, with 5 to 7 bedrooms.
If you’re looking for relatively affordable property in the North Shore suburbs, you’ll find plenty of options in Wilmette, as well, including condos and townhouses.
Architectural styles in the village are widely varied. There’s a little bit of everything, from Georgian, English cottage, Nantucket, and Victorian, to Craftsman, traditional, and contemporary. There are many historic homes that are at least 75 years old, as well as new construction homes built in the last three years or so. Lake view homes are some of the most desirable properties in the area.
Make Wilmette, IL your home
I will be happy to guide you through your real estate options in this charming community. If you’re selling a home here, I can help make sure you get the best outcome. Call me today at 312.485.0897 or send me an email at cgreen(at)bhhschicago(dotted)com.